Tuesday 20 March 2012

The world's moistest berry cake

I was recently sent a cake recipe by a friend who knows me so well that she now emails me the recipes of baked goods to try and make, without me even needing to ask.
However, being me, I adapted the recipe a lot - I'm sure the original is great, too, but I wanted to experiement, and the result was very well received at a family get-together, so I was pretty chuffed.

Ingredients
190g butter
190g plain flour
190g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 and a half tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
1 and a half tsp vanilla essence
2 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
2 cups raspberries (frozen or fresh), half mashed

Method: 
Heat the oven to 350f and grease a normal loaf tin.
Cream butter and sugar together. Then add the eggs, beating between each one.
Sieve the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder together then add in three batches, whisking between each. Finally add the vanilla, then the raspberries and stir again (less vigorously!)
Finally fold in the blueberries - stir gently and try not to squish them too much.
Bake for 35 mins at 350 and then for a further 15 mins at 375. To ensure the cake doesn't brown too much one top, I would move it to the bottom shelf of the oven for the final 15 mins.
Leave to cool completely before you remove from the tin.

The result is a moist, beautiful berry explosions!!
(I added the original crumble layer from the recipe I was sent to the top of the cake but I actually far prefered it without, so I omitted that in this version....but that explains the crumble in the pic!!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment