Monday 19 March 2012

"Pip pip cheerio": some good old English scones


I've been cooking up some English faves since arriving here in Canada. Some of the recipes are ones I've enjoyed making before - fish pie, sticky toffee pudding and the like. But I've also been trying out some traditional, new (for me) recipes.

Above, for example, is an excellent picture taken by my other half of my first ever tasty wee scones. It wasn't an original recipe of mine so I feel fully comfortable saying that, frankly: they rocked.


They were quick and simple to make, this recipe made about nine of the little guys, AND when you decide you fancy scones, you can have them mixed, baked and cooled ready-to-eat in only half an hour. 


You need:
50g butter
225g self-raising flour (I made my own with 225g all purpose flour and 3 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt)
½ tsp baking powder (EVEN if you've added it already to make your all purpose flour rise)
wee pinch of salt
25g sugar
50g raisins or sultanas
1 egg
150ml milk (plus a little extra for brushing


How to prepare these afternoon tea lovlies -
1. Preheat your oven to 220c or 425f and grease a baking tray with a little butter
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl together. Rub in the 50g butter until breadcrumb-y and add your pinch of salt.
3. Add the sugar and your raisins, then the egg. 
4. Stir in the milk gradually, making a rough dough which is not meant to be wet. You may not need all of the milk. 
5. Knead gently until smooooooth.
6. Using your hands, make yourself between 8 and 12 scone-sized balls from the dough and press down into the appropriate shape on your baking tray. Brush each one with milk.
7. Bake for just 10 - 12 mins until golden brown.

I recommend eating them warm, and plain. But maybe I'm an alien. Most people seem to go in for jam/butter/cream/some combination of those. 

ALSO worth noting: scones are a very guilt-free snack. These ones are around 200 calories each because the mix for scones is much drier and less sweet than for most cakes/cookies/muffins etc. 

So snack away my children, snack away........

No comments:

Post a Comment